We asked HealthKick nutrition expert, Natalie Holbrook to share a nutritious meal for our members to try during our May Challenge. All you need is a few veggies, chicken and spices to create something healthy and delicious!
Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 bell peppers (your choice of color, although red is packed with the most nutrition – 11x more beta-carotene and 1.5x more vitamin C than the others!)
- 2 4-6 oz chicken breast, chopped (can replace chicken breast with turkey, beef, black beans, baked tofu, tempeh or any alternate protein)
- 2 medium zucchinis, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Sea salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups raw cauliflower rice
- Feel free to add any other veggies, herbs or seasonings of your choice like mushrooms, sweet potatoes, kale, cilantro, parsley, etc. Get creative!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Add olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of a baking dish.
- Cut off the tops of the peppers and discard the seeds and ribs.
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken or your preferred protein. Once chicken is cooked through and no longer pink, about 8-12 minutes, drain any excess drippings from the pan.
- Add the onion, zucchini, Italian seasoning and salt to the pan with the chicken. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the garlic and cook for three minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cauliflower rice, mix well.
- Stuff the peppers with the chicken, veggies and cauliflower rice filling. Place the peppers so that they are standing up right in the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil or a lid and bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the peppers are very tender.
Don’t have Instagram? You can get your 5 extra entries by emailing your photo to email@example.com as well. You must share on social or email by 5/24 to get your extra entries.