3 Blood Sugar Balancing Breakfasts to Kickstart Your Day On a High Note
Author: Meghan Bachman, CEO & Founder of Bach&Forth
As many of us transition back into the office and send the kiddos back to school, we’re about to experience an adjustment in our morning routines which includes having a game plan for breakfast. But not just any breakfast, a blood sugar balancing breakfast!
Why is it important to start your day with a blood sugar balancing breakfast?
1) Slow down your hunger hormones leaving you feeling satisfied and satiated for 4-6 hours instead of that quick sugar packed protein bar, granola, oatmeal, bagel, or pastry that’s going to leave you feeling hangry mid-morning
2) Stabilize your mood and energy levels so you show up feeling your best for yourself, those around you, and your schoolwork or career
3) Set the tone for the day! When we eat carbs and sugar (or get a lousy night sleep), we crave more carbs and sugar. Making sure you have a blood sugar balancing breakfast will help prevent cravings throughout the day
Many, if not most, convenient breakfast options on grocery store shelves or coffee shop displays are packed full of sugar and carbs. Of course they are quick and delicious, but if you’re interested in the above benefits, choosing a quality blood sugar balancing breakfast is going to go a long way. Here are a couple of yummy options to help set you up for success.
Classic Green Smoothie (1 serving)
Simply combine ingredients into a blender and blend until the consistency you desire!
- 1.5 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder (20-30grams of protein)
- 2 tablespoons of flax meal or chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon of almond butter
- Handful of fresh spinach
- Optional: ¼ -½ cup frozen berries, ½ tsp vanilla extract, cinnamon, ice
Build Your Own Egg Muffins (4 servings)
Keep in the refrigerator for up to 6 days or freeze in a freezer tight bag. Simply microwave for 30-40 seconds when ready to eat!
- 10 pasture-raised eggs
- ½ cup grass-fed heavy whipping cream
- Precooked organic chicken sausage, turkey bacon, humanely raised uncured bacon, or other meat alternative
- Crumbled goat cheese or cheese of choice
- Veggies: spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, onions, mushrooms
- ½ tsp salt + ½ tsp pepper
- Herbs: green onion, cilantro, basil, etc.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray 12 piece muffin tin with olive, coconut, or avocado oil
- Whisk together eggs and heavy whipping cream in bowl
- Add solid ingredients of your choice to muffin tin then top with egg mixture leaving ¼ inch at the top
- Bake for 20 minutes until eggs are firm
Super-Seed Grain-free Oatmeal
Super-seed mixture (4-5 servings – combine and keep in airtight container)
- ½ cup flax seed or flax meal
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Ingredients (1 serving)
- ⅓ cup of Super-seed mixture
- 1-2 tbsp of nut butter (almond, cashew, peanut)
- ¾ cup nut milk
- Toppings: berries, shredded coconut, nuts + seeds
- Optional: ½ tsp honey, stevia, or monk fruit to sweeten
- Combine super-seed mixture and nut milk and microwave for 30 seconds
- Stir in nut butter and microwave for additional 30 seconds
- Add toppings of your choice
With just a little dedicated time to meal prep, each of these recipes will take 5 minutes or less to whip up in the morning. Enjoy!
For more blood sugar balancing recipes join Meghan on Instagram @bachandforth
Work with Meghan:
Login to your HealthKick account to redeem a free 30 minute discovery session!