HealthKick 2021 Summer Essentials
Summer is right around the corner, but don’t worry, we are NOT here to say “it’s time to get beach body ready”, because every body is a beach body! But summer is also a great time to reboot our wellbeing by building in more activity outdoors, filling our plates with seasonal fruits and veggies and getting some much needed R&R. Check out our Summer Essentials Guide for all the resources you need to have your healthiest Summer of fun.
- Mineral-Based Sunscreen: Most of us know protecting our skin is important, which means we don’t need to tell you that sunscreen should not only be a crucial part of your summer wellness routine, but a crucial part of your every day routine (if it’s not — now is the time!). We prefer more natural and mineral-based sunscreens over the chemical ones because they are better for our skin (especially if you’re prone to acne or have sensitive skin) and they actually protect from sun exposure better than chemical formulas.
2. Probiotics: Probiotics and prebiotics are crucial for gut health all year round, but you might want to take it even more seriously in these summer months. We can accidentally bring bad bacteria into our bodies during the summer, through eating greasy food, consuming too much alcohol or sugar, and even by drinking pool water.
We love: Thorne Research supplements
3. Stylish Athletic Wear: Even if high temperatures make you feel like melting, a little exercise (whether outdoors or indoors) can do wonders for your mood. Wearing a set of stylish, breathable or sweat-wicking workout clothes can help exercise during summer feel even better.
4. Anxiety Relief: If the summer season makes you feel a bit anxious from time to time (traveling nerves or more unstructured vacation time can do that), you may find it helpful to keep a little (mild) anxiety relief on hand. We love CBD, calming essential oils and meditation apps for relief.
- Natural Deodorant: While it may be tempting to reach for those anti-perspirants that keep your armpits dry, allowing yourself to sweat is one of the healthiest things you can do for yourself. Sweating, as annoying as it may be, is one of the body’s ways of naturally detoxifying itself. So stay hydrated, neutralize odor with a natural deodorant, and embrace the sweat!
We love: Prim Botanicals deodorant from Aurora Beauty.
6. Hydrate: A common problem experienced in summer is dehydration. Amidst all the fun and moving about, we often neglect our water intake and adding in extra electrolytes and minerals can help. While keeping hydration levels in check, be mindful of your environmental impact. Swap disposable plastic water bottles for reusable ones!
7. Take Workouts Outside: With more daylight, and a greater number of hours able to be spent outside, summer is a great time to begin or get back into an exercise routine.
8. Easy Healthy Meals: With the warmer weather try incorporating more delicious and refreshing foods like smoothies packed with superfoods, and fresh salads with tons of veggies to get maximum nutrients.