Celebrating Earth Day During COVID-19
There won’t be any large volunteer events to celebrate Earth Day this year, but there are still ways you can celebrate and support our earth in your home and local community.
Ways you can celebrate Earth Day at home in honor of Earth Day:
1. Get outdoors: Working from home can be great, but staying inside all day can get old. Boost your mood, breath in some fresh air by going for a walk or run during your lunch break or in the evening with your family, roommates or significant other.
2. Work in your garden (if you have one): Digging your hands in the dirt is good for both your physical and mental health, don’t be afraid to get a little dirty! Try planting native plants, fruits, and vegetables.
3. Start a compost pile: Composting your food waste will reduce the amount of waste you send to a landfill, and once it decomposes, you’re left with amazing fertilizer you can use in your garden. Check out this article by Grist, Composting 101 for Citydwellers.
4. Go zero waste for one day: Use glass jars, a reusable water bottle, reusable straws, skip the plastic produce bags, try bar soaps instead of bottled cleansers, eat plant based, line dry your clothes, don’t shower (bust just for the day!), and try composting your food.
5. Clean up trash: Take a walk around your neighborhood and take a trash bag and gloves with you so you can clean up any trash along the road or sidewalk.
While Earth Day may feel a little different this year, we can still be proactive for our communities and the planet. Will you be celebrating Earth Day by trying something from our list? Let us know! Post a photo of how you’re celebrating on social media and tag @my_healthkick